Connecting Golfers to God.
One Step at a Time.
Golf is a great game for many reasons. It’s a game where golfers of all skill levels can compete fairly with each other and play the same game they see their heroes playing on television. It’s also a game that encourages fellowship among family and friends while creating memories that last a lifetime. We facilitate those things by delivering tour-like experiences and life-changing fellowship to golfers of all skill levels.
Golf is a common ground and a place of comfort for people of all ages and backgrounds. Golf provides a safe and less threatening environment for us to come together in fellowship and experience the love of God. It’s an avenue for people to share, support, and pray for each other, and that’s why we exist. We connect golfers to God. One step at a time.
Concerning God: We believe in the Holy Trinity, that there is but one God, who exists eternally in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Concerning Man: We believe that all have sinned and fallen short of God’s plan and are in need of being brought into right relationship with God.
Concerning Salvation: We believe salvation is from God alone, accomplished by the completed work of Jesus Christ. It is applied to mankind, not on the basis of individual merit, but by the grace of God through faith, alone, apart from any works of man.
Concerning Jesus: We believe Jesus is the eternal Son of God, born of a virgin; and, who lived a perfect life and gave that life on the cross as a sacrificial atonement for those who would trust him for salvation.
Concerning Scripture: We believe the Bible is the word of God; given through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. We believe the Bible to be without error in the original manuscripts, and that it is infallible, and is authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
Concerning Christ’s Return: We believe in the visible and bodily return of Jesus Christ, at a time appointed by, and known only to, God; and, that Jesus Christ will judge all mankind and receive His people to Himself.
- May 25, 2002: Randy Peitsch plants the idea of a “buddies trip” with Todd Gober by inviting him to the upcoming “Hall Pass Tournament”. Todd develops the idea into a reality.
- May 23-25, 2003: 16 guys play in the first ever “Memorial Cup”
- May 29, 2005: 4 participants at the Memorial Cup hold a brief prayer session prior to the final round of the Memorial Cup, planting the seed for integrating faith and fellowship into the Memorial Cup
- November 23, 2008: The name “Step by Step Golf” is identified as the group name. Fellowship gatherings are now a focal point of the annual Memorial Cup tournament
- May 2012: The 10th Annual Memorial Cup takes place at The Summit in north Alabama
- Spring 2013: Todd Gober (SBS Golf) and Bob Waldrep (Crosswinds Foundation) meet for the first time and discover the possibility of a strategic partnership, which has continued to grow steadily since that meeting.
- Fall 2013: 4 junior girls golfers (Mychael O’Berry, Neysa Dechachutinan, Caroline Waldrop, and Brooke Gober) compete in the inaugural Joshua Cup at Limestone Springs Golf Club.
- January 2018: Strategic partnership is established with Southern States Jr. Golf, leading to a massive expansion of the Joshua Cup field
- February 2018: The 4th Annual Joshua Cup features 16 participants
- January 2020: Overhaul of branding and website. Launching of new initiatives such as the Lifestyle Caddie Program, the Preferred Instructor Network, and the Mental Golf Assessment.
- January 2021: Step by Step Golf announces plans for the 1st Annual Legends Cup (Sr. Team Match Play), the 1st Annual Dogwood Cup (1st Annual Adult Child Championship), and the Spring Birmingham Local Tour (for adults age 18+)
Bob has been engaged in cultural apologetics, with an emphasis on new religious movements, since 1993. Through the years, he has observed and addressed cultural trends that have altered various elements of our society; especially, as pertains to matters of faith and spirituality. In early 2008, he founded the Crosswinds Foundation to be a resource for those individuals and organizations being impacted by new and different emerging cultural trends. In 2012, Crosswinds Foundation welcomed Step by Step Golf into the Crosswinds family.
Bob has written numerous articles about cultural and spiritual trends; coauthored, The Truth Behind the Secret, (Harvest House); is a contributor toThe Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics (Harvest House) and The Complete Evangelism Guidebook, (Baker Books); and scripted the documentary, The Da Vinci Code Revealed. He has appeared as an expert commentator for print, radio, television and Internet media, locally, nationally and internationally; including appearances on: ABC’s World News Tonight, ABC’s Night Line, MSNBC with Brian Williams; CNN; NHK-TV, Tokyo; USA Today; Time, Newsweek, and Christianity Today.
Bob is a graduate of Jacksonville State University (B.S. in Secondary Education, emphasis in social studies and the arts) and Birmingham Theological Seminary (Masters in Religious Education).
Leslie Gober, MCD CCC/SLP
Leslie began her career in 1996 working in the medical field as a Speech-Language Pathologist specializing in stroke rehabilitation, brain injury, swallowing disorders, and dementia. In addition to her health care experience, she has spent 25 years studying and researching health and wellness, with a focus on God’s design and identifying the root cause of issues. Due to her own health issues and her children’s, Leslie has extensive experience with food intolerances and thyroid disease. She has taught wellness seminars, led thyroid support groups, and worked one-on-one with numerous individuals and families to help educate and give them the tools they need to live a healthier lifestyle or deal with chronic health issues, using God’s provision of food and herbs. She has enjoyed being a part of local and international mission efforts with her family, and believes God allows us to go through trials in order to support others going through similar ones.
Todd Gober, DiSC Behavioral Consultant
Founder & Volunteer
Todd has 25 years of experience in organizational development and sales leadership. In his current role, he serves as the Director of Sales for Kemper Auto, covering the east region of the United States. Todd graduated from Auburn University in 1996 with a degree in Secondary Education. He was a three-year letterman on the Auburn baseball team (1993-1995), including an appearance in the 1994 College World Series. In 2001, Todd founded “Infinity University”, which was the learning and development division of Infinity Insurance. From 2008-2013, he led a successful church-planting initiative in Caraveli, Peru, overseeing 16 short-term mission teams during this time period. Through his certification as a DiSC Behavioral Specialist, he has spoken to athletic teams, organizations, and companies across the country and has administered more than 1,000 behavioral assessments. Todd and his wife Leslie have been married for 21 years and live in Birmingham, AL with their daughters (Peyton and Brooke).